Saturday, May 21, 2011

What if...



What if I actually believed
it was finished when he said it was done?

What if I stopped fussing
about casseroles, seating arrangements,
paychecks or job titles, and attended
the one thing needful?

What if I found a mustard seed
hidden under the piles of doubt,
moved mountains, saw oceans
as reasons for a daily stroll?

What if I stopped defending
myself against attacks,
embraced my enemies without plunging
daggers in their backs?

What if I really did the math
Of forgiveness, learned the grace
that makes one greater than seven
or seventy times seven?

What if I stopped explaining
away my gluttony and greed,
my wrath and wrongheadedness,
accepted my ignorance,

and owned the blessing he called down
when he asked his dad to let them off
because they simply didn’t know
what they were doing.

It was finished when he said it was done.
What if I actually believed him?

2 comments:

  1. I read the poem and sip my coffee. The website promoting adrenal performance plus tells me caffeine is just another poison, I'm putting in my body. I read the poem and sip my coffee and wonder how to get past the words. But the words are a beginning.

    I read the poem again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Audell. You definitely have a gift. I wish you and your a very Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave feedback or comments about my poems.